Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Peaked-peak-ed-

Looking at the vegetation, summer has peaked. The leaves are hardening, weed seeds are popping, and there is a bit of a chill in the air. The jacket is getting lots of use. I didn't blog Saturday because I felt great and was a working fool-didn't have time until I was too tired. I didn't blog Sunday because I felt lousy. On Saturday my calves were almost normal. On Sunday my toe hurt and I took a look and my feet and calves were huge and kind of purply. I invested in a vibrating, heating cushion for my legs at night. It seems to have helped me but it alarmed Honey. She is so funny.

Buster has had a couple of bad days. He had the drizzlies Saturday night and was so good about getting me up to let him out- the first time. The second time I missed. He didn't so I was washing throw rugs yesterday. Poor Busty. He was embarassed and waiting for me to get mad, I think. Which I don't do. He seems pretty chipper today. Me too. Day by day.

Manu was sighting in a big rifle Saturday. He must be going hunting this year. I haven't seen them this year at all. My old chum Bonnie subscribes to a website call the Story People and they send very short stories that are often hilarious or pithy. One was: "I like people until they give me a reason not to. Some days they drop like flies." Some time ago I got over what Oprah calls the "disease to please." I think the realization that your days are numbered though you have no idea what the number is, has something to do with it. It may have something to do with realizing that while other people are important, I am important too, and the only person in charge of my happiness and well-being. Fortunately, I keep my expectations nice and low. It is a pretty easy job.