Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

It Was A Dark and Stormy Night

It was a dark and stormy night...for about 15 minutes but what it lacked in duration it made up for in intensity- 55 m.p.h winds according to the weather service. Supposed to be stormy for a few days, they say. I got my laundry off the line before it hit.

We had a quiet and fairly productive weekend. No driving. Weedwhacking, watering the cattle, (I'm doing it for the cows-not Harlan.- I think they were dry-I can't keep their tank full and they usually only get one tank), working on my pictures, reading a little, playing with the doggies.

I called Delores. They have been having a ball in West Virginia., Connecticut and NYC. She put a new roof on her house. Those "steel magnolias" support each other: Marilu is coping after Howard's death, Jayne might be depressed after the bypass and pacemaker but her house is now habitable and will get winterized after last year's floods. Jayne has been living with Delores and her granddaughter Cade for the summer. Her nephew Scott is back from Afghanistan-alive and intact physically. We old friends do go on-for about an hour. I know all these people so it is interesting to me to keep up.

I had a package of chicken breasts so I made a pot of soup and we had grilled chicken tonight on the deck. Tomorrow is taken care of with the soup- Chechnyan Wedding Soup. We howled at the coyotes. Buster started fussing and I shushed him. Then I heard them too. So I barked and he and Honey really tuned up howling. It nearly made me fall off my chair laughing.

I called Richard on this, his birthday. Sounds like occasions have been happening all weekend. A wedding, balloon rally, I'll take him out for dinner in Florida-he is saving his City Band money for it and has some miles.

Had email from Therese Desjarlais. They have reservations at John Prince mid January.