Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gadding About

Out of bed by 5:30 a.m., not by choice, the eyes were open and I was hungry! Today seemed like a great day to go to Boysen Dam to see the water. It hasn't been this high since 1999. It may be full next year too but it has been so long and it makes my heart glad to see it. We went to McDonalds for McBarfups, washed the van-bird poo was whitewashing it, and hit the road. The balloon rally is on but we were a little late for the big launch. We stopped to watch this one set down-trying to hit the pasture instead of the alfalfa patch. On the way to Shoshone I was feeling bad-tremors in the hands, but we soldiered on to Boysen.
It had been years since I looked around the campground below the dam. It has been improved but includes FEES! I found this woodchuck calmly basking in the sun. My dad called them "whistlepigs" because if you whistle they are curious and when they pop their heads up they make a good target. In my bloodthirsty youth I offed quite a few of them. This guy must be some kind of campground pet because he was not inclined to run. Looks well-fed.
At the risk of seeming a complete fossil, the tunnel was in use when I last played along the river. Sometime in the last thirty years they put up a trestle when I wasn't looking. Burlington Northern was doing track maintenance today-picking up railroad ties. If you do the click to enlarge thing you can see the truck is designed to move on the tracks as well as the road. I think that is so cool. I think they about have a load.


I did find my way to the dam and even drove over it then back up the road to the campground where I exited again. There were boats on the water, the cabins and marina were busy, people were fishing-you used to be able to pull some lunkers out below the dam. Then by 10:30 we were on our way home. Stopped by Wally World for dog treats and glucose test strips-mine were out of date. Did a little testing and was put out with myself. Way high, but I think I was way low when I got the shakes. Four test times a day for awhile and taking meds"as directed."

Sue called to tell me the Ethete Powwow was going full tilt-they counter program against Riverton's Rendezvous Days every year. I went up there this evening. I love the Arapahos. Shoshones are squatty bodies, typically. Arapahos are linear and tall often times. In full regalia, very impressive. They are also more down to earth in some ways. Kids start out with homemade regalia that looks homemade. That said, they are also like herding cats. No grass at this powwow ground and the water trucks were nowhere is sight. The heat and the dust were oppressive. Some dancers had made face masks out of scarves. I did not stay long. Maybe that is their plan.
Posted by Picasa