Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Entered in the Fair

No, not in the fatted calves competition, but the photos. All they wanted today was the entry form. They were ever so nice in helping a first-timer and it was a busy place today being the deadline. Apparently they will generate my entry tags by Monday, the photos are to come in on the 23rd. My matting exercise this morning was not necessary but I am glad it is done. Mats do sharpen a photograph.

On to the store for a basic shop. Holy cow, the prices have skyrocketed. And with so many people out of work? Soon they will have no money to spend and things will get worse. Desperation breeds danger. Of course I blame Bush for letting the foxes run the financial henhouse but Obama is getting into ownership territory.

I started to water the yard today. Warm winds suck the moisture right out of the ground. There is still snow on the peaks of the Wind Rivers and the nights are delightfully cool but the foliage is starting to harden and water is important. The swamp cooler developed a water shortage but I think I fixed that.

The neighbors turned the bulls in with the cows. There is some entertainment value in that. The bulls grumble and complain when they aren't getting any and the cows are coy until they are good and ready. The neighbors must have broken some hay bales because a second feeding this evening of some prime alfalfa made the cows act like kids chasing the ice cream truck. They scarfed it down. I'm glad they are breeding them before they take them to the mountains. I always thought that was complicating matters and if a cow doesn't "catch" she will be sold this fall.