Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Thanksgiving

Sometimes Thanksgiving comes without a turkey dinner. It was a glorious day-cool and sunny, and coffee on the deck became a time to feel good; Two good dogs at my feet watching over the pasture and the river; kids doing well and gainfully employed in these hard times, my younger brother celebrated the first anniversary of a happy marriage, my older brother just back from a GoldWing motorcycle rally in Tulsa, my ex enjoying being a grandma and artist, my friends industriously making progress, and me with sun on my face enjoying it all. Gratitude.

The dogs were frantic to get out this morning but I'm trying to sleep to 7:00 so I played possum-didn't work. Feglers cows were in the backyard munching down. Two words "get 'em." sent them crashing back through the fence instantaneously. The doggies went no further than the fence but they were puffed up all day long. They did their job. Per usual the pasture is down to the nubbins, they feed really bad hay-the cows go from pile to pile hoping for something better but Harlan bought it so they will by gosh eat it. And across the fence there is this lush oasis which I did not grow for the Fegler's cows. I am generous in letting them use my pasture land.

I counted eight prairie dogs running relay races in the pasture. They hid when Honey went down there. She ended up running and splashing in the slough just because it felt good. Buster's mother used to do the same. It is fun to watch a joyous dog.

I downloaded two programs. Pandora is Internet radio. You give it a song you like and it creates programming in a similar vein. The internet radio business is officially legal after today-there were royalty squabbles which are now settled. Pandora is free with commercials or commercial free for a price. The second one is called Amp. It turns an iPhone or iPod Touch into a hearing aid with the ability to go back if you miss something. Thus you can feign listening to your Ipod music when you are really trying to hear what is being said or played. That download cost $9.99. I will see if it is any better than my abortive earlier attempts at hearing augmentation. It works well but the folderol of earbuds, etc. may be the downside.