Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Quid Pro Oops!

Coming back from Guy and Janet's last night (Thursday), I was struck with the beauty of the wide open spaces- the mountains get all the attention but the high plains are gorgeous too. This looks toward my home.

I had a great time up there-it was Hollis' birthday celebration-35 years old and his grands, Susie and Max, came too. The quid-pro-quo was that I was going to work on Guy's computers and they were going to feed me. Somehow the project morphed and I was going to replace their aircard with a thing called a MiFi, by Verizon that would act as a router and allow both Hollis and Guy to surf at the same time. I did get the tower computer functional again so that part was good. I got the MiFi installed but I can't get the supplied WEP password to work. The dude who sold it was not returning calls today-methinks he might have been working toward a monthly quota. But Guy and Janet did swell by me: Giant T-bones, sweet potatoes, fruit salad, artisan bread and Italian butter. Hollis's "cake" was his requested "fruit pizza." A new one on me and totally awesome. It was beautiful too. The dumbhead didn't take a food picture!

Today, I waited for the Verizon guy to call back on this semi-drizzly Friday-didn't happen. I don't know how the branding went-if the calves get wet, that is the end of branding. Fedex brought me the Apple earphones/microphone that will enable telephone calls on the iPod touch. I tried a call out and it works! Then I just listened to my Brazilian guitarists and on second listening with earphones was wowed. What they did with Rhapsody in Blue made it fresh and a new favorite all over again.

Music is magical. I was semi-surprised by the death of Michael Jackson-the suddeness-it seemed to me he was in a decline for a long time. I have some of his music and I enjoy it. I can't help but have grudging admiration for anyone who dies with $400 million in DEBTS! As for Farrah Fawcett-that is sad too. I could have made love to her in the 70's. I was enjoying her picture but I couldn't find her. Matt had her poster over his bed in Cheyenne. EVERYBODY gets old.... or not.

As for Jon and Kate plus 8 who gives a rat's patootie?
Governor Sanford made the wrong decision. With those emails out there, his wife will be frosted until 2025. He would be better off in
Argentina or dead. And Senator Ensign! These guys are ruining the old joke: "Did you hear the one about the queer Republican? He likes women more than money."

It will even the stakes in Foul Person Poker: "I'll see your Gary Hart, Bill Clinton and Eliot Spitzer, and raise you Mark Foley, Larry Craig, John Ensign and Governor Sanford!" OR we could all grow up and be like the French. "C'est la Vie."


Posted by Picasa