Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Catching Up

Having gotten on the short side of sleep for several days I got a little run down. But I slept and took some vitamins and otherwise recuperated. Not that I was a total loss: I gave up on the Weed-B- Gone and took the whacker to the mustard weed yesterday. I have a little more to do but after my second encounter with wire which jumped up and wrapped itself around the shaft of the whacker I cussed loudly and stalked off.

While I lay napping evidently the UPS guy made it past Honey and left me a package from Swanson Health Products. I was out of my good Multi-Vitamins- they all have similar ingredients but these make me feel better. I also layed in a supply of essential oils. I had been reading about their ability to act as bug deterrents, decided to try them and got sundry others: Lavender, Camphor, Eucalyptus, Citronella, Texas Cedar Wood, Orange and Patchouli (mostly as a remembrance of those lovely hippie girls but it is supposed to repel bugs too.). So far in backyard tests they seem to help but not as much as the Black Flag Fogger. Swanson's is cheap and fast-I always feel like a skunk not patronizing Linda at Wind River Merc-she is a brilliant and nice woman but she charges too much. Some of the oils do seem to open clogged nasal passages. That is an unforeseen consequence of the good sort. The pollen is flying.

Guy had filled me in on his technology needs and I stopped at the Verizon store to see if they had a tethering kit for Hollis's phone. They had something better and I am following up on that.

Buster had been off his chow for a couple of feedings so his meds did not get down. He was fading but I enticed him with chicken this morning and got his heart medicine down. He is visibly better. Shoving a pill down his throat is not possible-he clamps those jaws and will not open. God love him. We do the best we can. I am not going to torture him his last days. On his meds, his last days seem down the road awhile but I notice his back is getting a little bony. He enjoys his life-he tried to hump Honey this morning. Maybe it was the Patchouli oil.