Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Short Night, Long Day

My little buddies started raising a fuss last night after lights out. I ignored them for an hour, then decided to let them out. No big whoop-something had been in the yard but no longer was. The aftermath was I was up until after 3:00 a.m. and up by 7:30. After surveying the mustard weed I decided a second spraying couldn't hurt. Maybe I have the wrong stuff.

The rose bush is putting forth nice scents and pretty flowers. Today I saw a bunny hop across the pasture. two strange dogs and Wily Coyote. My dogs were oblivious and I am not sorry. The grass has grown so tall that it hides the view for the shorter critters. Wily is in the center of the bottom picture-click for a closer up.
I was reading a 2006 October New Yorker and it raved about some music so I downloaded it. It is pretty interesting guitar music by two Brazilian brothers. I'm not sure the whole album is rave-worthy though. It is interesting to read back issues of magazines-some missed it completely on the Iraq invasion and others were prescient. Real journalism is only being practiced in magazines any more. Newspapers are only a step up from gossip. There certainly isn't much that is thoughtful or educational. Mostly they are a medium to sell automobiles.

Then there is TV: my choices tonight-PBS: a convict who became a Muslim, Married With Children, 48 Hours Murder Myster: (slutty wife fools around and somebody dies), and Dr. Oz on Oprah (how to check your testicles for cancer). Click.

The stomach problem passed. If I had it to do over I would pass on the colonoscopy. They hurt me enough to awaken me from the anaesthetic-told me to hold still and bear it. They created a distention near my appendix that now hurts from gas and...worse. I hope I don't have to live on soft food for the rest of my life.

I am beat and am going to try for a good night's sleep. It was warm enough to require a fan or two today. The house cools nicely at night-great for sleeping.
Posted by Picasa