Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Kids!

A wet Honey Bear with a dirty nose. The nose was my fault. I gave both dogs a milkbone treat. Honey very politely took hers and proceeded to bury it for another day. I decided it was time to hit the road and to let the van heater dry off the dogs and to let the neighbors load their cattle. We wandered-came home once, the cattle were still here, the dogs refused to budge. The warm van and a longer ride were too inviting. So we were off again. I went shopping for a utility trailer. Those jesses are pricey. My old friend Connie had one for $1000 but she said Linton's sells similar ones for $750. My garbage guy has moved away and I have no good way to transport anything large. The Ranger is too small and the Vans are likewise not big enough (and might take a beating from lumber or an appliance). Secondhand would be just the ticket but they seem to be highly prized by their owners. I am not a borrower. This matter is still under advisement.

We wandered to St. Stephen's Mission. I have taken some great pictures there over the years. It has changed in the last year or two. The old Nunnery is gone. The Mission is still beautiful but in a different way. St. Francis would love it, St. Paul, not so much. The photographer/publisher guy, Ron Mamot who does the fundraising magazine seems to have moved into the main residence and I saw no sign of a priest. I think they stashed Fr. Hilbert here in the aftermath of an accusation of the Catholic Priest sort, and then something was mentioned and he was gone. The Catholics and Episcopalians on the reservation seem to have lost their missionary zeal. The Fundies seem to be doing well, though. Hate sells these days.

Brother Rich called from Seattle-Val's daughter is graduating and her dad, a Wells-Fargo Banker, found a "six bedroom with water view" for the guests to enjoy while celebrating the occasion. I have enjoyed my visits to Seattle-one of the great cities of this country.

We were early to bed last night and consequently the dogs were up and eager to go out at 5:30 a.m. I think the Sun is trying hard this morning. The forecast is for several more days of possible thnderstorms so I am rooting for warm sunshine in whatever measure we can get it. The cattle are still here-perhaps mud concerns over the trucks was the issue.
Posted by Picasa