Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Appreciating Emily Dickinson

Emily's poetry has always knocked me out-insightful, emotionally complete, beautifully phrased, wise. She rarely left her house. Took care of dad until he died, never married, though there was a married neighbor lady she was close to (wink) and yet she seemed to experience life in its entirety.

After what seems like 40 days and nights of rain, I appreciate her feat even more. I seem to be having difficulty finding writing material without free ranging. Maybe I will go internal, like Emily. I did read an inspiring article in the Sun magazine on Shamanism. Free TV is somewhat dispiriting except for PBS. I have been tinkering with my toys. I set up the sound studio in the Lindy RV and my new arrangement with antennas links it with the Internet. Surprisingly, my Verizon bill went down so I added the web to my "Boulder" phone. Now that purportedly unbreakable phone has a whole new personality-music, video, news, weather. I fell in love again.

Buster is having mostly good days. Honey is a treat (much of the time). She has gotten chummy and she has a real sense of humor. She is on the bed right now. Feglers are supposed to be shipping cattle today so I want her in or we will be gone. Too much tempting commotion for her excitable nature. Also too much poop and mud.

I was upset yesterday. My classmate Alice Hubley died of breast cancer years ago-much too young. Her elder sister "Skip" is my cousin Jim's partner's (Susie) sister in law (though long divorced) and great fun-she graced all of our Casper soirees. Skip's mind has been a concern for about a year-it seems to be going. Susie has noticed an odor about her and when her arm swelled, Susie said "That's it," and took her to the hospital against her will. Skip has breast cancer and was packing the wound with sanitary napkins. She is beyond help.

Susie did what she does like nobody else. Pitched Skip a birthday party with 23 guests. Likely her last and there were old friends she didn't recognize. So many ugly "end-games." I am trying to imagine a pretty one.

It feels treasonous to complain about rain in Wyoming but the crops and I both need a ray of sunshine and heat.