Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Day of Summer/Father's Day

On both counts a capital day. Coolish but sunshiny, the wild roses are starting to pop on the hillside. The whitetop weed also, so I whacked away. I will get the mustard weed in the next couple of days. I think they are both pretty flowers but the farmers are scandalized when I let them grow too profusely. My home page includes the weather in Arapahoe and West Palm Beach-the "feels like" temperature in Florida today was 105 degrees. Nice to be here.

I got through the night with only two wakeups so I was surprised to find myself very drowsy early on-I am working on the theory that blood sugar may be at fault. The new anti-allergenic pillows did seem to help with continuous sleep. Aging really is kind of exciting. One never knows exactly how the day is going to be- what is working or what is not. The enjoyment of the day is hardly hampered.

Honey is a funny dog-she has a sense of humor and is really pretty fun. Fun to play with: she loves tag and keep away, tug of war, and hide and seek. For Father's Day I did a little grilling on the barbecue and we three furry ones ate on the deck. Matt called and Audrey sang me a song and we chatted. Things are going well in Medford. Cheryl was not included in the Harry and David's layoffs, so both are employed for awhile in this sucky economy. Delores and I finally connected-I acquainted her with the *228 concept to update her roaming. Cade had her 13th birthday and it is ongoing-it will include a trip to Broadway for the Lion King. As usual we had some good laughs. She relaxes in West Virginia and her long time crazy friends are great playmates.

The new iPod phone included a new software version (3.0) which also applies to the iPod touch. I had to download it for $9.98 but for the iTouch it is no big whoop. I did download Skype for it so I really can make a call on it as long as I am near a wifi connection and have my headset handy.

Jason and Lori are due to board a cruise ship soon if they have not already done so. I am not sure how the communication logistics work on board- I think they are very pricey if they even exist. I am going to be interested in how the security is managed. They are in proximity to Iraq, and Iran and will stop in Turkey which is contiguous with Iraq.

Rich just called for a little yak and yawned in my ear. Gave me an idea.