Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Howling in the Dawning

The feeder cattle left at dusk on Friday. I thought they were headed the wrong direction to Ogallalla, but what do I know? The cows and calves remain in the pasture and we three hounds were up early watching them graze. An eagle swept low over the pasture, a pair of sandhill cranes strafed the lagoon, a pheasant called, mourning doves cooed, and from the distant hill coyotes called-one very insistently-was he trapped? in distress? Buster answered-it was a new behavior to me and even Honey looked at him as if to say, "Was that you?" The coyote was at it awhile. I scanned with my field glasses, I could hear Manu's dogs at work guarding their sheep. The llamas down by the river were like weather vanes pointing at the coyote. Then Feglers arrived with the hay wagon-the cows fell into line for breakfast, man had stamped a new order on the day.

The day grew cooler-I thought the studio would make a cozy refuge and set about backing up my purchased iTune songs-2.4 gigabytes on a DVD which merely backs them up-it is unplayable except on a computer. It started to rain. After it let up, we went to town for some regular CD's. To further make playable backups is the plan and since the iTunes computer is getting venerable and I am still keenly feeling the loss of data stolen, backups are a worthwhile thing to do.

Then the heavens opened up and a really impressive thunder and lightning demonstration took place. I grew sleepy and headed for the bed. Was joined by the fuzz-faces for a long nap. I think I can fold early tonight too.