Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Living Well-the best revenge

"Living Well is the Best Revenge" is one of my favorite sayings- a Spanish proverb. I derive as much pleasure from others living well as my own privileged adventures. That is one of the reasons I love pictures. The picture above shows Rich and Val's, and sundry Sprecher's rented lodgings in Seattle for the graduation. They have been having fun-doing a hike today. Home on Wednesday.
Of course there is also the German revenge "Schaudenfreude" which is taking joy from the misfortune of others. Into this category the lightning strike on the "Angel Moroni" atop the new Mormon temple on Oquirrh mountain falls. One hopes they will take the singeing as as sign to mind their own business going forward. Freedom of religion in this country means you have the right to whatever bizarre beliefs you want to indulge in on Sunday but you don't get to remake the whole of society according to them. If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one. If you don't believe in gay marriage, don't marry one. Your rights end where the other guy's nose begins. I bought some wonderful bumperstickers. They incorporate all the religious symbols into the word "coexist." Coexistence is a great concept. Approve or disapprove, good manners are the grease of civilized society.

Jason had some road time from Orlando to Deerfield so he called yesterday. They will board Virgin Atlantic tonight at around 10 in Miami and will wake up in London around 9 in the morning. Depending on how Lori handles the flight (she has to be wary of deep vein thrombosis) they either stay in London a bit or fly on to Rome. After seeing sights there they will board a cruise ship for Italy, Greece, Turkey, and ports in between for two weeks. I am excited for them and hope for pictures but I will get to see them in the fall if they don't come during the trip. Cousin Karla has been hired to sit the Juneau dog.

Around here, the wet weather brought the mosquitoes out in force. As we are in West Nile country, I have moved them up the list from pest to deadly pest. The fogger has been used twice to good effect. I can live indoors but that is not fair to the fuzzy ones.

High Plains Power tree trimmers will visit tomorrow. It went well last time. I hope it will go well this time. They have been very polite-that has not always been the case and war broke out on a couple of occasions.

Yesterday was kind of cold- played with the music. Today is beautiful but the forecast is iffy. I am enjoying what I get. The cottonwood is starting to fly.
Posted by Picasa