Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Crash and Burn

A little correspondence with the less than competent appaiser who will appraise my property for the road building that is going to take place sent me over the edge into the slough of despond. Fortunately I have meds at the ready as this problem has been recurrent since the 1970's and d-i-v-o-r-c-e. The phrase that tipped me over-"the problem of your trees." We will see what he has to say but the anxiety over losing any of my beloved, protective, sheltering, noise dampening beautiful trees is overwhelming.

I busied myself with Guy and Janet's MiFi wireless internet set up. Took two of their laptops and the MiFi to the Verizon store. He was as stumped as I am. He sent me to their corporate HQ where the professional techs were as stumped as I am-after two hours. I returned the equipment slightly improved. Guy was there and we had a mutual fomenting over TERO, BIA incompetence, and the like. Janet could tell we were fomenting by the body language when she returned from work. She had auditors all day. Ugly day all around. I have one more resource to try on the MiFi.

The feds could take an economics lesson from the Tribes. The bonus oil royalty for the tribes amounted to $1700.00 for the more numerous Northern Arapahoes and $3400.00 for the Eastern Shoshones: man, woman, and enrolled child. The local banks ran out of money. There were more temporary license stickers at the WalMart parking lot than I could count, and Native Americans were lined up four deep at the Verizon store. There was an economic stimulus for Fremont county that was almost instantaneous. As I was buying kibbles for the dogs, some of the Indians were almost giddy-"What are you going to do with your money?" A lot of it went directly to WalMart HQ. But people were getting what they needed. It was really kind of fun to watch. The economic lesson, long known is that those with little disposable income (poor) will get that money into the economy fast. The well-off will save it. So the feds are giving money to bankers?