Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Democracy Lives on the 4th of July!

Or, "What if you threw a TEA Party and nobody came?" I had a bowl of soup at the Trailhead Cafe last week and they had a sign that said they would close at 2:00 on the 4th of July and people should go to a TEA party in the park at 2:00. TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already and is a Republican grass roots movement. I loaded up the dogs and cameras and thought to go to Boysen Dam for picture taking and check out the the rally on the way. I couldn't find my mini-wallet so I wasted a lot of time looking for that before calling WalMart where it was last in my hot little hand. The wallet was there (Bless this small Wyoming Town!). It was 2:30 when I cruised past City park and nothing discernible was happening other than a lot of brown skinned families having picture perfect picnics on the 4th of July. I thought perhaps I got the park wrong so I checked out the other major parks. Same story. I was so pleased to see Native Americans, in town, on the grass, being as American as apple pie. I was running out of good light so I put Boysen on a list for another day. I saw where the TEA Rally in Washington D.C. drew 2000 people. Not exactly a huge crowd. If it had been Blacks or Gays it wouldn't have even made the news. Maybe the problem is that taxes so far are only slated to go up on incomes over $150,000.00 a year. I can name all the people in Riverton that would affect. They've already bought their congressmen so they don't need to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi in the park.

Talked to Rich to see how they fared on the flash floods in Casper. He said they weren't affected then described how the carpet in their house got wet as did the one at their Wellness Center. They rode their bikes down there and had to dodge debris. That is a long ride but they seem to be enjoying them. His new hip is working just fine.

Also talked to Eve, the ex. She had sent an email in early June about all her Art Shows and exhibits. I wanted to see how they went. They went well. She sold 20 little sculptures and has sold four paintings. This after a dry spell so she was pretty happy about that. She also is more newsy about our kids and grandkid than they are so I found Matt is already being eyed for promotion and Audrey is precocious (I already knew that-she carries my genes!-too bad about the fat and bald genes.) Cheryl is much the same as usual and I didn't miss her birthday-yet.

We were on the edge of a violent thunderstorm late this afternoon. Just a little hail and big winds, some rain. It was a doozy a few miles away and was heading for Casper.