Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dog-eared Books

Dogs and books. First, I got screwed on one of my ten cent books. Wasn't worth a nickel: a spy thriller that was not thrilling. I can't quit them so I saw it through and felt disappointed. The one I am in now is called The Day of the Jackal and is much better- maybe worth 15 cents. Since it is about the attempted assassinaton of Charles DeGaulle, I already know how it turns out but the background is interesting. Very pleasant reading on the deck.

The doggies have been entertaining. Honey the huntress has been bagging Prairie Dogs. They venture out into the pasture and all is lost. They are pretty big so the dispatching is not easy. She she was so proud of herself yesterday. Buster of course would love to have one. So the contest was on all of yesterday. Honey would get distracted and Buster would go for the limp little carcass and Honey would rescue it and parade around. Kept them busy all day. Buster is pretty determined though and this morning when she was on patrol he got it. They are buddies so there is no snap and snarl but Buster was not able to sit down and chew with her on his tail so he deposited it in a wild rose thicket that he can access and she can't. Nothing for her to do but bag another one. This one put up a little fight and she was yipping and dancing a little. I can see no wounds on her. She wanted to play keep away with me with it but I draw the line doing tug-of -wars with dead critters. It found its way into a plastic bag and a sealed garbage can while she was seeking fresh quarry. I'm not crazy about this mayhem but the nature of dogs deserves some indulgence.

For the third time I made a trip to town to pick up my special order phone kits-one was missing. Went by the Oriental Palace for takeout and had Chinese food on the deck with a book in hand. The dogs are partial to Crab Rangoon and Chcicken Wings-yes I de-bone them. Crikey! They are spoiled. A very warm day day in town-in the 90's according to the bank sign but pleasant here under the trees and with the aid of afternoon swamp cooling. Life is good!