Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, July 24, 2009

At Home

The rubber did not hit the road. The Dumpster did not arrive. Fasting glucose was 109. After a pill and a modest brunch it hit 217 -what a disappointment. Took another pill and it settled down and I felt better.

Honey is running true to her Pyrenees side. She is expanding her territory every day. I saw her down at the bottom of the thirty on the other side of the fence. I buzzed her in and when she arrived she was black with swamp muck to her chest. She was having a ball. Buster overdid yesterday and stuck close to home and coughed a lot. I got a Benadryl down him in addition to other meds tonight. I hope he breathes easier. They are great dogs. Honey is a stitch. She comes in and woofs at me to come play. I oblige and we have some fun games. She is really growing in obedience and affection. There is almost a sixth sense with her. We have some "head talk " going. She's a stealth dog. She can disappear and appear with no fanfare. I'll see her in the pasture and in a few minutes I am getting a nudge.

Janet sent an email- she was thrilled with the quality and quantity of the Fair photographs which I think did not bode well for ribbon territory for me. I got a positive comment from the judge though. I'll go to check them out and look for trends. Judges change every year so that might not mean much. I learned the ropes this year. It was kind of fun-now there is a challenge. Years ago my first potatoes took first, second, and third two years running and I retired with my reputation intact.

I called Lisa at John Prince Park. My site, which she kindly drove by to assess for me is in mid construction and nobody knows how wide it is going to be. I need 14 feet to not kill the grass. It had very little grass when I picked it. The Rosenbergs, my friends, were down there from NY and went to take pictures which I will get by email. Now those are friends! Why they are in Florida in the summertime is beyond me-I'll have to ask. The "feels like" temperature today was 103 degrees in Lake Worth.

I watched the PBS Friday lineup for the news shows. Had a steak and baked potato and salad-tenderloin for me-cube steak for the pups. We had a deck dinner. A nice day.