Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Hug and a Kiss in Ace Hardware

Monday was spent on idle- trying to get the sugar ironed out. Just the piddly stuff-a load of laundry, watering the lawn, watering the cattle, reading some magazines on the deck. Life goes on. I was still smiling about Saturday's party. It had its moments. I called Matt and he is doing fine-work is good. Audrey had a playdate she was excited about. I think he s getting the marriage thing figured out. I asked him where the playdate was and he said he didn't know he was "just along for the ride."

Today the cattle left for summer camp in the mountains. I miss seeing them but not hearing them is kind of nice. The trucks came and went. Honey seems at loose ends but while the neighbors were pouring fly killer on the cattle, Manu's Pyrenees chased a coyote across the river. It made the mistake of crossing the pasture. Honey is an athlete and very fast. She was gaining on it when it scooted under the fence and the girl had the good sense to stop. Later in the day she retraced the path of the flight and sniffed diligently. Buster is hacking more. Bless his heart. I felt like a skunk after the party. I left the dogs a total of four hours. He lay by my side and whimpered for two hours after I got home. Guilt-tripping me and it works!

Paid the car insurance-why is that going up? Ordered my last refill on this year's prescriptions. I will need to do my doctoring in the next 60 days in order to have continuity. That is do-able.

We have been having big winds in the late afternoon. I took advantage of the cooling off to go get some kibbles and things I had kept forgetting at the hardware store. Ace was getting ready to close so we were lined up. Shawna, a former student from long ago informed me she had five grandchildren! And then she told me she was raising five of her daughter's whose husband died. She gave me a big hug and a kiss and said she never would have graduated had it not been for me. I stood a little taller on my way out. She is doing some lifting of her own.