Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Christmas in July/August

The event: A 22 pound turkey and a carry-in that always brings out the best food, a gift exchange, and a gag gift/good gift giving, family and friends and newcomers. Lots of laughs and good-sportsmanship. Guy and Janet's home is just the best for such an event. She and her grandkids decorated a tree and put out the Christmas decorations- Christmas napkins, red plates-the works. They are gracious hosts. Some distant relatives were visiting Janet's parents. They drove their motorhome from California and seemed fascinated. As Janet says: "We wouldn't want them to think we are alright out here." Linda holds up her bikini "coverup."
Janet's dad, Max, models his foldable hat- He has it on backwards because the bill is huge and he disappears.
Janet with her clown hair and Norma's dirndl T-shirt. Janet got a whoopee cushion which she blew way up, sat on, and it popped! She brought the house down.
Janet carves the delectable turkey. Home made rolls, corn/spaghetti casserole (everybody wanted the recipe) cherry graham cracker cake, frog-eye salad, pasta salad, cranberries -(two kinds, ahem) Gelatin salads, sweet potato pie, apple pie, white fudge with almonds, veggie platter, etc., etc. A feast!

I was in a lather getting the cranberries made, boxing 20 gag gift boxes, two boxes for kids, attaching baling twine to them for a chance draw. I decided the picture project was not expected and I could take the time to get it right and deliver them on another occasion. Big load off. I relaxed and enjoyed the event immensely. Great people and some good humored ones at that. We Made a Memory!

I had good phone too. Greg called and I talked to him and Lew. The matchup I made on their selling their motorhome and my Thunder Bay friends wanting a new one, paid off. Greg had been swimming in his lake. Knowing Greg I am sure it was skinny dipping and there are 14 inch fish in that pond but he says he survived intact.

Jason called and I talked with Lori too. They are back in the groove. Jason negotiated a smaller job-timewise that he is excited about. They are making some changes toward a healthier more relaxed lifestyle. Lori loved the Europe trip. She is energised. They missed their dog and he missed them. It was so very nice to talk with them and watch the Sun go down over the Valley of the Little Wind.

A great day.
Posted by Picasa