Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Perking Along

I did get to the bank yesterday. They are very nice and helpful but banks creep me out. They always have. And I am no fan of the institutions. Their mismanagement has cost me considerable. I am still amazed no one has gone to jail or had a bullet put between the eyes. I pretty much live on my Social Security (cheep, cheep) and my pension goes to another bank. When auto insurance and license plates roll around they bust my budget so I had to transfer some funds.

Honey had another coyote confrontation yesterday. These take place way down the pasture. It looked to me like she caught up with it but whether it decided to fight or it yipped, the chase was terminated. The event didn't deter her from giving chase today. She also had an encounter with a couple of domestic dogs. I had not seen them before. Then last night after bedtime both dogs became extremely agitated but when my shoes come off they stay off. I trust their instincts but whether the marauder was porcupine or mountain lion or bear, I thought we were safer in bed. (If you look in the picture of Guy and Janet's house you can see a bear hide on the wall. That bear was in their apple tree just two miles up the river from here. )

My new meds regimen seems to be paying off. I am feeling pretty well and have more energy and am in fact being productive. It feels good. It is kind of an adventure because I feel like my body is changing. One effect is I get ravenous but after about six bites I am done. I notice this phenomenon with Lori. Order big and take it home in a box.

Thayne started the irrigation water down here this afternoon. It is very welcome. The winds and heat have rapidly dried things out even after the wet spring. Honey was playing in the ditch and having a ball. In addition to the practical watering of trees and grass, it is very pleasant to have a little brook running in the oasis. It used to run all season but comes and goes now. The pasture cannot be irrigated with critters in it so we have been waiting. After he finishes I will put in a card and draw from my allotment. There is plenty of water-I still can see snow in the Wind Rivers.