Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Sunday Blog- stuff and nonsense

Pictures from the dinner party the other night. Lori, and Dean; roast beef, Dean, Jake, Lori and Jason's torso; Martin, Joy and Kathy. I took some pictures Sunday but I am behind on posting these. Delicious dinner and fun company. click'em to enlarge.

Sunday in the park was kind of quiet- Doc Rosenberg was observing that too. Many people ran out of time and are gone. I missed saying goodbye to Bill and Sarah. I feel sad about that. I did say "so-long" to Audrey, Tim and Scamper. There was Tim with his oxygen generator, Scamper moving slowly, Audrey was perking as usual. "See you next year," I said. "God Willing," said Audrey. That expression seems apt here. Poignant.

Lesson learned: Two years ago I had nice neighbors-Chuck and Chris: she was diabetic, dog and cat, sold campground guide ads. We got kind of chummy. Took them to dinner at Two Georges restaurant. They returned this year. Met up with them and it was clear they were drawing a blank on who the Hell I was. Should have saved my money, though I enjoyed the evening out.

Scout Hill was covered with scouts this weekend- ants. There were some normal Packs but Pack 241 was directly in front of me. From affluent Palm Beach I was astounded that scouting had come to this: Mothers, and younger siblings came along with, and stayed overnight in L.L. Bean tents. Burgers and breakfasts were catered. ( I helped myself to both foil covered pans atop the pile in the dumpster- hundreds tossed) A pole fitness course was constructed by the dads when a huge jungle gym was available 30 yards away. It seemed it was for the benefit of the adults. They left a bit of a mess. The scavenger birds made out well. I thought back to the Black scouts, meticulously policing the area before they left. No black faces in this bunch. Lessons learned?

Norm came by with a CD of his bird pictures. Some great shots with his Sony. He seems to exult in getting others to emulate his spending. His friend Ira bought some fancy shoes like Norm's- $250 per pair. He brought Kitty and inquired as to the brand of treat I pass out to visiting dogs. (Meaty Bones) That probably characterizes the difference in our lives.
I have enjoyed visiting with him. They are out of here Wednesday. I love his dog- offered to take her off his hands but he wasn't having it.

My made-to-order puppy arrived Sue said. I have been open to adopting another dog. Buster seems to need a leader-a little faster thinker than he is and more muscle. Even with the little dustmop dogs he develops great anxiety. Given all the times he got his butt kicked before he became domesticated it is completely understandable. I have mulled this for a year thinking one will come into our lives. I think it is right for me and for Buster. I will get home about the right time for adoption.
Posted by Picasa