Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Night Out With the Kids


Kathy, Lori and Jason's dear friend from Phoenix and Chicago joined us for dinner at Phyllis G's, one of our favorite spots in Delray Beach. I have known Kathy since the kid's wedding so I gave her a greeting hug but her big old purse was in the way so my hand ended up on her fanny. I apologized. When we parted I gave her a little hug and she said, "Watch the hand." Lori said, "She's asking." I obliged. In between, we had our usual great meal and enjoyed our waiter, Jamie, from New Jersey, who is married to the owner's daughter. Kathy thought he was cute enough to be on American Idol, so I started kidding him. THAT was his on button. He loves American Idol ( but is a bad singer). He was Mr. Personality plus. We had a great time and he may have talked himself into a job interview. I had the coconut encrusted grouper- which was delish. (pictured). Jamie brought us the specialty dessert of the house (on him): Cuban Flan which impressed us greatly, though I am not normally a flan person.

We watched the start of the eclipse there and by the time I got home it was cloudy, then over.

Getting as Good as I Gave: When I picked up the mail today there was a Thank You card "for the delicious chocolate in the heart shaped box, delivered in the rain." It was sent anonymously. Now it is my turn to wonder. Funny.

Another coolish day. I worked on the fancy fan I had installed on this rig four years ago. It was reluctant to start but ran fine when it got a little push. I think it is fixed. Rode the bike to music until I got sweaty and worn out. Rode bikes with the Park Ranger for awhile. She is a husky girl in fighting shape- a very pleasant woman but she appears to be quite prepared for any eventuality.

Tried out the green grocer-Spanish Market on Lake Worth Avenue today. I doubt I will ever buy veggies or fruit from the supermarket again. Great stuff, cheap prices. A busy place.

We are gearing up for an influx of campers on the green out in front. There is going to be a big dog show on the 23rd and 24th. Agility courses, etc. I plan to photograph.

Posted by Picasa