Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I've Looked At Love From Both Sides Now

"I've looked at love from both sides now," as the Joni Mitchell classic says. (erroneously- as if, there were only two sides). But this Valentine's Day evidences the human interest, if not obsession, with the idea that singletons are not complete. Makes me laugh. I should just keep my big fat yap shut but I won't. So I will whisper: I am happy. Anybody who thinks somebody else is the answer, doesn't even know the question. But I am tolerant, if nothing else, and happily shot pictures of Harold and his friends, and some visitors from Montreal who celebrated the evening with Champagne and strawberries here, went out for a nice dinner and are continuing- I can hear the music and laughter.

The park had two celebrations: one in English and one in French ( no love lost there!) and for two bucks and a covered dish, I could have attended a weenie roast ( symbolic?). But I didn't. Took a bike ride, some pictures, and hung out with a species known for devotion and loyalty, who appreciates every kindness, never nags or whines or goes all moody, loves to go when invited, is glad to see me when I come home, and won't take off with half the loot and the pups and expect a stipend for the duration. OK, there is no sex but the new wears off that pretty darn quick and for most becomes a memory or a pharmaceutical problem. Well, I still have the memories.


As cynical as I am about the mating game, I am enthusiastic about the expression and power of of love. I bought a dozen boxes of Valentine Candy and puttered around the park with my umbrella leaving them anonymously in the dead of night. I have enjoyed the befuddlement, mystery solving, and accusations. In any case it is nice to think there might be someone out there who fancies you. After all, what passes for love for most is ego involvement. A little anonymous act of kindness-or was it?
Posted by Picasa