Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Out of Synch

This day felt a little wobbly. After closing the Internet terminal, it took me four trips to the van to get ready and I had to loop the park and come back for something. The goal was to go to the beach and photograph. The beach was packed, the parking sparse so I headed up the A-1-A to the Palm Beach public golf course which overlooks the ocean. I started across the green holding up a twosome who graciously waved me across. I quickly hunkered down in the vegetation and snapped a couple pictures before the duffers started shanking golf balls within feet of me. Persevering, I tried a couple of artsy shots that didn't work. Headed up the road to Palm Beach wondering if I had enough gasoline to get home with miles of mansions and no gas stations in sight. Pulled into a Palm Beach Valero station and paid $3.29 per gallon.
The drivers were nutso on Dixie highway-too slow, too fast, or oblivious. I felt at risk and was wishing I had paid more attention to my instincts and stayed home. There are some days like this. Took a nice safe nap and woke up to the news that south Florida had a huge power outage It led the CBS News with Katie Couric. Only thing is, it didn't happen to me. Lake Worth has its own power company. Every stop light I hit was working just fine. The planets must be misaligned.

Stayed safely inside and watched American Idol. I had not seen this much talked about program until this winter. It is interesting.

Chatted a bit with Harold as he was prepping to pull out in the morning. He is one organized dude. I am sensing that I caused a problem by taking them to dinner last Friday. I think his friend Fernand feels threatened. Envy is missing from my emotional lexicon so I forget sometimes that it exists. The happy hours have moved to Fernand's and I am not invited. Booze figures heavily in the Canadian's social affairs. That chapter closes tomorrow. I wonder what the next one will be like.

It is supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight. That is about the high in Wyoming on good days. They are rising at home and that is welcome news.
Posted by Picasa