Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Show Business

The Academy Awards were pretty good. I snagged these portraits of Nicholson, Jolie, Blanchett, and Mirren done by the Big IT of-the-moment photographer some time ago because of the hyper-realism, warts and all, qualities. Interesting but not "pretty" in the movie star sense. Makes you appreciate the artistry of the make-up technicians. I still "get" the Oscars despite the fact my bottom hasn't graced a movie theater seat since the original Superman with Christopher Reeve. I look at the Oscars as teasers for DVD's I may rent or buy. You too may be "old as dirt," if you recognize the term "teaser."


The other show I attended was the dog show in the park. It was hard to find a place to park yesterday so I rode my bike on this record hot and humid day. After riding home I decided if I did anything else today it would be under air conditioning. I skipped the Street Art Festival for the first time. It will cool off by Wednesday. The dog show rigs have pulled out save one. "My" Afghan hound lost to "the blue bitch." Visited with the blonde's team. Nice people.

Cuz Donna called and we talked for more than an hour. Caught up on her news. I made spaghetti for early Sunday dinner. Greg wandered over after dusk- said he cracked his first beer at 10:00 a.m. I fed him right way, then we talked until 8:30 p.m. Called my baby number one son Matt on his 41st birthday. His requested "fine seegars" are on their way. Boy, I remember when a Grenadier, at about 50 cents per copy, was a luxurious cigar. Eight bucks a pop seems a little steep but he deserves to feel special on his day because he IS special.

Memory Hook: Fidel Castro has been the leader of Cuba since I was 15 years old. His brother was named to succeed him today.
Posted by Picasa