Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Leprechauns!

I was surprised to have Andre bike up to me while I was walking the dog. When they left last year it was to be their last trip. Here at age 80 and 81, they are again in the park at their favorite site. Tonight they are square dancing in Boynton Beach. Anna booked a cruise for them and told Andre it was his job to get them here. So the 1990 Ford van made another trek to chilly Florida. They are sharp as tacks mentally, Anna is getting a little deaf. Andre almost brought me to my knees recounting his prostate issues. Not entirely funny because his PSA numbers are climbing again. At 81 Anna is unembarrassed by anything. Tough as nails. Andre has a little electric heater for his dome tent. Anna has a lot of blankets and a hair dryer for heat in the van.

Joyce came over while Tony was holding forth today. She had taken Gary's scooter over to the office to collect the newspaper, turned around and crashed right into the electric gate. She is bruised from toe to shoulder. I felt bad for her injuries but found the mental pictures hilarious. "Crash" Anderson they are calling her.

Tony's daughter, Jennifer, and his grandkids came up for lunch. Evidently she did not want to go to the Ritz-Carlton for brunch so they went to John G's. She is a beautiful woman and the grandkids are also gorgeous and "smart", the three year old informed me.

Rene and Terese invited me for breakfast this morning. Terese worked her magic, producing an excellent omelet on her hot plate. We had grapefruit, sliced tomatoes with pesto sauce, avocado, and toasted English muffins. Jeanne crashed the party to announce that Marc had a good night and was now able to urinate. I was glad to hear that but it kind of spoiled my surprise. Terese and Rene had, after much urging, decided to keep the little TV I loaned them for the Olympics. It is just the perfect size for their VW Westfalia and it doesn't catch a signal in Wyoming. They were really wrestling with accepting such a gift. So the breakfast was an occasion to give me a very nice "French Press" Bodum coffeemaker, some Starbuck beans and a nice travel mug. All of which thrilled me. Thoughtful gifts.

It was actually a pretty nice day all day long. Hope arises in my heart. Guy, from home, had a computer issue so he called. He said we had two inches of rain in Arapahoe yesterday which, on top of the snow which has been there since October, was making a mess. But moisture is always welcome- here or there.
Posted by Picasa