Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Breaking a Record

It has been 32 years since I have gone to a movie. I got so angry to the point of offering to step outside with noisy patrons during Superman that I swore off movies. Terese and Rene invited me to go to see Avatar with them and I accepted. The theater experience was pleasant. Ten dollar tickets seemed to keep the riff-raff out. $6.75 for popcorn seemed a little stiff but it was nearly a lifetime supply. 3-D has come of age. The visuals were amazing and 3-D is the only compelling reason to see this movie. The storyline and plot were very derivative: a little Western, a little Billy Budd, a little Green Mansions, a little Star Wars. It was too long by at least an hour-Cameron shot all this visual feast and couldn't seem to decide what to cut. But the genie is out of the bottle. I'll go again at an upscale, non babysitting theater.

Still coolish down here-this has folks seeking indoor activities. Upside: Honey has not "blown her coat," the refrigerator is keeping up. Better weather is coming. This is the Mantra of an entire nation.

I put the audio equipment away. It all fits in a big plastic storage bin. My neighbors had to fly home for a funeral so I am keeping an eye on their place. Moe is flying home to babysit for two weeks. Robert is relishing a "vacation." He is quiet to her noisy but has a dry wit. Patsy and Joe will go home for a month on the 25th and some friends will come down here to use their RV during that time.
Posted by Picasa