Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thwarted

The potluck was great-180 people and our logistic improvements meant people were served faster and the food was great and plentiful. Bob helped me set up the music equipment. He is one of those people who is just competent at everything. I asked him if his wife, Ruth, would be "Celebrity Tambourine Player." "Are you on drugs?" he asked. The dinner music was great- people liked it. The P.A. system was better if not the best. But Louise arrived prepared to play for thirty minutes or an hour after dinner. Turns out she had just inserted herself in the program. This was not new behavior and had eyes rolling. She had people leaving until the crowd dwindled. So there was no dance.

The Veteran's ceremony was more touching than I anticipated. I had downloaded the "Star Spangled Banner" and "O Canada" to play. Doug Altman had written two prayers and a bilingual woman did them in French. Doug is not a vet but he is a member of a Harley group called the Guardians who make sure Veteran's burials are not disturbed by the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church. Yesterday afternoon they all attended a funeral of a homeless vet for whom the American Legion paid to have a service.

We had a gorgeous day and a mild evening yesterday. The cool is back today.