Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, December 03, 2009

"This isn't my first rodeo..."

"This isn't my first rodeo with these things," said Mike the repairmen as he prepared to install my electrical element in the hot water heater. I took this as a signal to keep my yap shut. So I did. It did not take long at all to put it in. He fiddled with my jacks a bit and had no success. I paid. (he had been holding back on some charges-all legit-so this time it hurt a little.) I plugged in the hot water element and the breaker popped. Gave him a call. He was full of all kinds of advice. But he eventually came back. He had installed the thing completely bypassing the thermostat and controls. The heating element fused into a short circuit. He ordered a new one-left a little red-faced. Got bucked off in this rodeo, I guess.

It was windy and threatening rain yesterday so I stiffed Honey on her morning run. We got that done at 7:15 this morning. She needs to blow off energy but we have to go early. It is 78 degrees at 8:15 this morning. Cooler by the weekend thank goodness.

Jason's birthday sounds fun-very casual- kids and dogs welcome. Matt arrives this evening. I am excited. Jason told me about the Celtics/Heat game they all attended. The Casperites hit the jackpot on celebrity watch: Celine Dion was in their section. They'll have tales to tell.

The park is not all that full- I think they built their business plan in the boom market. Many seniors are on a fixed income which took a hit. A lot of people I know from Canada are spending more time on the Florida west coast where bargains are to be had, or not coming at all. Nicole said her sister in law is suicidal over their reversals. Pretty shallow in my book and to which I say "get some pills and therapy or get it over with." Otherwise, it is emotional blackmail.