Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

20 percent chance of showers

A serious thunderstorm this morning. Buster is in shock, Honey is pouting because she didn't get her bike run, and I am pouting too because Mike didn't get his butt over here to do his repair work and now it will probably be after Thanksgiving before he ambles around to do it. I decided this year to put my screenhouse front wall at an angle-more room inside that way. Then I decided to put up rain/shade flies to go over the mesh/ Concept is good, I have found. Dollar Tree shower curtains are not the right material. So far I have $4.oo tied up in this project and the test results are mixed.

I did a drive-by on two houses in the "wholesale market" right here in Lake Worth. The Internet prices were low enough that I could swing them in my own right. The kid's idea is they are buying investment properties and even if the O.F. lives in one he will eventually be moving on and the price differential betwen rock bottom and then will be their profit. On the web they looked great. One with an efficiency apartment that could be rented for income was a nice looking home (part omitted by realtor- "smack dab in the middle of the ghetto!"). Of an evening, it is easy to tell because folks are all outside on the street leaning on their funky or defunct cars. The second, on Washington, was in a mixed but more expensive neighborhood. (President Streets are usually not a good sign). Another nice looking house with a vacant lot on one side, a nice backyard with high fence, a commercial garage on the corner with junkie standing beside the gate. I asked him about the neighborhood. "Not good-drugs." He bummed a cigarette as did somebody in the first neighborhood. ( part omitted by realtor: crack house conveniently located across street.") Driving away I spied a huge man lying mostly naked on the pavement in front of his apartment-very like the walruses I saw in Oregon.

On to the Boynton Beach Wal-Mart. I have gotten a few interesting looks with my long socks ("interesting", as opposed to "interested"). Today, I am trying my usual loose top diabetic socks seeing how long the benefit of the compression socks holds. When you are getting second glances at Dollar Tree and Wal-mart...well, it is not ego enhancing. I will opt for comfort every time. It was a zoo at Wally World. Prices very similar to Wyoming and the location of things a lot alike. Prices very much better than Publix. Worth the hassle for a "big shop." Stuck to my extensive list and did well. Bought some pecans for my cranberry relish and noticed the saran wrap had a hole so I asked the checker to put it in a little bag by itself. Then I didn't see them come across. I was looking for them. The checker asked what? "I can't see my nuts." Then I heard what I said. She missed her big chance to say"Go on a diet."
.
Posted by Picasa