Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Toosday,too hot, too much to do, too tired

Busy, busy, busy in the 80 degree plus heat with humidity to match. I cratered last night. Went to bed with the just the screen door closed and awoke this morning to dogs barking. A coon came to steal my loaf of bread and Honey decided that screen door didn't mean very much in an emergency. She shot out there and Buster followed. With her adrenaline flowing she thought some poor woman in a fluffy bathrobe and turban looked menacing (in fact she did look menacing) and tried to corral her.

Things are moving ahead. My campsite is taking shape. I spent some time Sunday scouting houses. Jason sends web listings and I drive by. One in Delray beach said it had five bedrooms but that was a misprint and it was next to the World Famous Delray Tennis Center (Venus and Serena). I got jungle fever scouting that one out. Ebenezer Baptist, and Apostolic Evangelical churches in the 'hood. I see the fun of the search but I still don't have a clue what I want to do. The short-sell bargains are now.

Rich has discovered Skype so we have been having video phone calls which are kind of fun and FREE.

Everytime I go out, I am subjected to the poverty surtax in South Florida: Publix asks at checkout if I want to donate to Cancer research, or the food pantry, Dollar Tree wants to know if I want to donate a toy to a needy kid. I run a gauntlet of panhandlers at stoplights on Maleleuca and Lake Worth Avenue. There is no doubt that the need is there and these are desperate times for many people. I don't like it because there is a limit and I give some then feel bad about turning people down instead of feeling good about giving some.

Obama is starting to make noises like he is hearing the howls of pain from ordinary citizens-way too late. The banks are continuing to put a voracious squeeze on their customers after receiving taxpayer bailouts. They just don't get it or don't care. Somebody needs to take a literal or figurative two-by-four to some of those knotheads until it sinks in.

Mike from Coastal RV has not returned to complete repairs. Surprise, surprise. My icemaker is bodacious. Love, it love it, love it.