Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Curiouser and Curiouser

I got a newspaper the other day because I wanted to read about the big bank robbery. The story was accompanied by a lengthy editorial about how important the old time print media was and after it ran a litany of (somebody was shot, somebody died, somebody was held hostage) immediate and rampant rumors, the Riverton Ranger got it right! Had four people covering it from the time the police scanner broke the story. What happened: A woman at United Bank was opening up at 8:30 A.M. a person with a mask and a hoodie approached her and said give me the money. She said she didn't have access to the cash. He pushed her and left in a tan Ford SUV with a bogus license plate. She reported the event. All Hell broke loose: The police, FBI, Reservation police, and Sheriff's office responded , called out the fire department. A cordon five blocks long and three blocks wide was established. A sniper was lifted above the bank on the ladder truck, elementary schools across the town were put on lockdown. Traffic was diverted until noon. Meanwhile, the horse having already left the barn was galloping away. Is still galloping empty-handed.

Today's headline avers the woman "freed herself" to make the report (FBI source). What is happening is law enforcement is backing and filling to justify panicking and being incompetent horse's patoots, or the Ranger didn't do such a rosy job of reporting after all. We'll never know. In a small town these things take on a life of their own.

Soon I will be in a place where they scrape 'em up, give 'em a paragraph, and carry on. One guy has robbed nine banks down there this year. He is very polite according to all reports.

I called Lisa at JPPark today. I asked where I was going to be if not in my selected spot. She gave me lakefront property! But she said now they were moving right along on the construction. It is very easy digging down there. So I will see what I will see when I get there. I would really prefer to settle in once. The campground internet is working like a champ. She also said my prescriptions had arrived. ( I get two points for crystal balling that one!)

Went to the bank and arranged some accounts for the winter.