Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, November 02, 2009

USPS

I re-trekked to the Post Office seeking Diane, the sole person who can do premium forwarding. She was at lunch. I went to WalMart killing time and found her there. People tell me things. I told her I was sorry for her loss, having been apprised that her Friday absence was for a funeral. She said her daughter-in law (divorced) died of Leukemia, unexpectedly and pretty quickly. Two small daughters who are now living their father who is living with her (Diane) and her husband and all their kids are collected in Shoshone. Kind of puts a perspective on things doesn't it?

I returned to the Post Office and waited in line. A handsome young man in front of me was fiddling with a small bolt in his ear lobe and a pin in his eyebrow. I asked him if it was hurting him. "Not really. I used to be able to put my pinky through my earlobe but when I went to prison they made me get rid of all my piercings." So there you have it. If you like your piercings, stay out of the joint. Kind of puts a perspective on things doesn't it?

On the way out there was a young Hispanic man tending tenderly to a baby while sitting in a barely driveable pickup truck. I was starting to get depressed. There is an incredible amount of pain out there and people are bravely putting one foot in front of the other. You have to respect them.

I got nicked for $321.00 for getting my mail forwarded. An increase over last year. But it is good to go.

Harlan was fixing the pasture gate and I followed Honey down there to keep her from eating him. The bulls had walked through the old one and gone up the road about a mile. The new gate looks good. Harlan recalled I had replaced one of the broken poles in the gate years ago. It is part of the new gate. I had forgotten. We visited a little and I gathered my dogs and headed for the house.

I have adjusted Buster's meds in several ways and the coughing persists. The Enalapril is recommended on the Internet for dogs at .25 mg per pound of dog once a day. The vet prescribed 10 mgs twice a day which is a lot more than the manufacturer recommends. It is distressing and perplexing.

Two owls in the yard tonight. I think young ones attracted to my fake owl but if I were a better Indian I would be on my knees right now. A visit from an owl is an omen of death. I think there are some bad spirits around. I have seen several Native Americans with ceremonial paint on them. One way of warding off evil.

A fairly moderate day-tomorrow is supposed to be even better.