Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dealing with the Unexpected

I was down by the fence this morning visiting with Thayne who was changing the irrigation water-making the pasture green again. I was surreptitiously "breaking wind" standing up the hill and upwind. My cell phone on the deck started to ring so I exerted myself at a clip. Yesterday's potassium had worked its magic and I was the victim of an atomic fart-you know, the kind with "fallout." I went directly to "go." I did not collect a hundred dollars. Time passes... Rich calls again. "Whatcha doing?" "I just crapped my drawers!" "God, I hate when that happens," he said. I didn't expect him to say that!

He was working in Lander and wanted to get together for lunch. That was unexpected. I motored in to the Golden Corral with the dogs thinking it would be a good day to go to the Vet after lunch. The dogs were not expecting that. After we got our food Rich said he forgot his wallet-it was in the car. Was that unexpected? Maybe. Did I buy? I think that was expected. We had a good visit. That was expected. We both qualified for the senior discount. Made me feel old to have my much younger brother getting the senior discount. That was unexpected.

I had called the Vet's office in the morning so we were sort of expected. Honey got her vaccinations-she wasn't expecting that. Buster got his toenails clipped and a meds checkup. At a price, his new meds are likely to extend his life six or seven years. That was delightfully unexpected. The vet's dog is 14 and has been on the meds for six years. I got scolded for feeding my dogs raw hamburger. That was unexpected. But since that is the only way I can get meds down Buster, I will likely continue giving him some. Iams all natural dog food has lost it's reputation for being an excellent food. I need to check this but I was told WalMart bought Procter and Gamble which owned Iams and now many pet foods are suspect. Corn is out of much of it and filler is being substituted. I didn't expect that! We will go back to Purina One, though my dogs got tired of that one.

Life IS like a box of chocolates-you never know what you are going to get.
Posted by Picasa