Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

and me without one...still, I spent a lot of time thinking about Ruthie. Lots of smiles, few regrets. Cooked a Mother's Day meal for we three: pork roast, sweet potato, salad, canned peaches. Even used the fine Chin...ette.

Buster's hacking and sputum release was horrible last night. I thought it might be our last night together. I gathered him in my arms on the bed and put his head on my shoulder with a towel because elevating it seems to help. I slept little. When I did awake he was in his usual spot and has been doing pretty well today: not minding his own business, instigating barking, stealing Honey's foraged treats. Hacking some but not a lot. Go figure. Honey had a close encounter with some fat geese way down in the pasture. She started down there and they atypically advanced on her. She made them fly and we were both proud.

A teepee went up across the street and that typically is not good news. Ceremony of some kind: cure, or death. Lots of traffic over there. I have been trying to keep the dogs quiet but not doing a very good job because the dogs over there are barking up a storm at the hubbub.

It has been cold enough in the mornings to remind me that going south in the winter is the right course for me. The cold causes numbness and pain in my hands and makes me hurt. It goes away in the warmth of the sun.

Working away at my mail I found money! After being treated badly by the credit card companies: every abuse the President is trying to correct, I paid the rat-finks off and have only used my bank's card. Being a bit of curmudgeon, I still send minimal amounts which they dutifully refund from time to time-revenge-it costs them money to do this. ( I thought they would pay me the kind of interest they started to charge me- but nooo.) I overpaid one significantly and they kept it. So, I spent it. I have made myself whole after the theft in Marion, Illinois. I lost confidence in ever seeing that stuff again. When the patrolman drove away I noticed his SUV was labeled "Animal Control." They sent the dogcatcher to take my report! "Take a bite out of Crime," my ass!