Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Omaha, Nebraska, Flying J, 3:00 a.m.

Marion, Illinois, Pontoon Beach, Illinois, St. Louis, Kansas City, St Joseph, Missouri, Rockport, Iowa, Nebraska City, Gretna, and now back to Omaha. Nebraska. It was a grueling day driving. Rainy in spots but not bad, but I-70 is a chore. Think Denver in rush hour and then think 225 miles of it continuously. Over 15 miles of stop and go for a bridge inspection and another ten for a semi jack-knife. The drive up the eastern edge of Missori is beautiful I got to Bob and Doris about 9:30 p.m. just short of her bedtime. Bob had a nice jumbo shrimp cocktail waiting for us and we visited for a couple of hours. There is much less of him-and he has aged due to loss of fat in his skin but he has energy and is still upright, the weight loss has been arrested and he no longer resembles a pumpkin in color. His spirits are good. I am glad we had the visit.

He thought perhaps the dogs could sleep in the car and I could fill a bed. I didn't want to risk the upholstery. Miss Honey has been a good girl so far but I am not going to push my luck. I bought gas and burgers for them then stumbled on to this Flying J as I was headed to I-80 and Grand Island. I decided a snooze in the nice safe parking lot was in order. Sultry is no longer a problem. The van's heater was employed today. Dogs have been walked and watered. I may journey on or I may try to doze some more. Home is a distant possiblity today but it may take until tomorrow-or the next day if you count today as tomorrow which it technically is. Does that confuse you as much as it does me? Well anyway, I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.