Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Quincy or Midway? It is a Flying J

This is the Flying J that Garmin can't find. But I knew it was here and found it after fighting with the GPS for hundreds of miles. I was sad to say goodbye to my my sweet kids and my grandpup. They are so good to us. Honey even got her first bath from them. She looks beautiful. Even Buster is impressed: He keeps sniffing her and then tries to hump her. She gets giddy and runs around. Pretty funny.

It was hot in the tropics-the air conditioner, which is excellent, was barely keeping up as we took the Turnpike diagonally across the state- deciduous and pine forests became more frequent and palm trees scarce. It is sultry here in the van in northern Florida where we are going to snooze before heading to Dothan, Montgomery, and Birmingham, Alabama. I am going to move because the snoozer in the next van appears to be talking to himself and getting agitated with himself. Creepy headlines pop into my head. We dined rather well on the buffet- my waitress had to correct her register so I got charged for a double hamburger-the coke was free. I was complimentary about the fried chicken so the hostess gave me a discount. Made me feel pretty guilty about the piece of chicken in my pocket for the dogs. I tipped the waitress lavishly and filled out a rather lengthy and complete evaluation of the restaurant. I still have a karmic debt to discharge and the sooner the better.

On my way to cooler country. Even Florida has spring and the vegetation is popping and beautiful. How nice to be traveling in spring across the beautiful land.