Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Slip, Sliding Away

I bought another day in the park- Saturday will likely be the storage day. Every time I think I am gaining I fall back. I took the windshield covers off yesterday to send them to Sunpro as patterns for new ones. I discovered a whole lot of rust. The best fix is a body shop that would craft new pieces of metal. I Googled a bit and found a process that would fit my budget, both time and money. I was off to Pep Boys for rust converting primer, and a can of spray paint. Wire brushed the spots, painted on the primer which turned the rusty metal black but also produced some rusty stains (more of them.) Masking and painting was the final step and I have to say it looks much better. The coach is a dignified old girl and and a little makeup helped. I just hope it is effective too. I think it more than likely this is my last RV. Hold her together with 100 mile an hour tape if necessary. We'll fall apart together.

I took a lot of groceries to Lisa at the the front desk. She was gone for about a week and she told me "we had to move." She is caring for her granddaughter and her twice divorced daughter as well as other family. I think she was glad for grub. I cleaned out a little more than I needed to. Took some wine to the groundskeepers.

Miss Honey has had near perfect runs the past two evenings. She doesn't quite get it that some of her friends have moved on-she still looks for them. She met some toy Shnauzers tonight that were cute and friendly. I removed a wrap I had put on Buster's leg. A new product I found at PetSmart. It is a self adhering (no adhesive) Ace Bandage for pets and it really works well. I will get some more before leaving town. It seems to help him but I think his leg needs "time to breathe" too. He is a game little guy.

It probably sounds to readers that packing up is some huge chore. I watched some neighbors pretty much do it in two days. But they take their unit home. And I don't keep up like I should so it is time to pay the piper and close it all down. The kids have offered to help but it is all decision stuff-I have to do it. I am gradually getting to the point that things will live permanently in Florida or Wyoming and going back and forth will not be as big a chore. I am leaving some things this time. I have found places for most everything. An empty turned off refrigerator is a great place to store things. I think the bike will stay. I ride it in Oregon but it is lot of weight and and wind drag and wear and tear on it to haul it seven thousand miles for ten days in Oregon.

I've picked my spot for next season (ha,ha I never get the spot I want) but I think I may have a chance next time. It isn't on the map yet and has a great tree canopy that taller RV's can't get under. It is not as high traffic as this spot and will be better for the pups. I was over there with my measuring tape. There are a couple of others that are desirable too.

Well, big day tomorrow, better get some shut-eye.