Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Wild and Wooly South Florida

A very temperate day-enjoyable in its entirety. When I was walking Honey early today I thought I heard gunshots. Turned out I had. This event transpired about a mile from here as the crow flies: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/04/08/0408shooting.html?imw=Y

Click the link for the lurid story. I was on the street, by Los Gallitos yesterday afternoon.

I took advantage of the cool weather to get stuff done. Washed my throw rugs, buffed the RV with a "Shammy cloth" (as seen on TV being hawked by the guy (Shlomo) who just got arrested in Miami for beating up a hooker.) Walgreen's sells the shammys 3 for $5.00. I mention them because I was kind of impressed with it. Buffed up the RV pretty well. I am sorting cords-every gadget has its own unique cords. They turn into a nightmare tangle and the last thing I want is to be in Wyoming with the cord for something in Florida. Sorting and labeling and putting them in baggies so I can lose them all at once instead of individually is my goal. I was kind of unsettled with the closure of the RV store so I went to dollar days at Harbor Freight for bungie cords and awning stakes. I don't know what will or won't be here next fall. Boating World is going out of business, too.

They are starting to work on "Phase II" here in the park. I am trying to anticipate how things will look. I have a great site this year but the view will be behemoth RV's next year. This place is the cash cow of the Palm Beach Park system and they are milking her for all they can get. For me it is about the only game in town what with the kids fairly close by. They are also adjusting rates and length of stay in such a way as to encourage long stays. A fellow who seemed knowledgeable said the length of stay is going up to 7 months. This from 120 days (four months) last year. This will likely exclude a number of my friends in favor of semi-permanent residents who can come early and stay late. Time will tell. The game changes every year.