Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Honey and the Squirrel

The squirrel cagily figured out what the dog chain was all about. The girl dog was transfixed for nearly an hour while the squirrel teased the daylights out of her. It was pretty amusing.

I am sitting in fading light and perspiring a bit at 10:00 p.m. A wire burned through on my main power hookup to the RV. The central air and any combination of appliances does that about every other year. I will scoot to the RV store first thing in the morning for a new plug. My batteries are apparently not too shiny either because my 12 volt lights are fading. Nothing to do but go to bed and hope the refrigerator doesn't get too warm in 10 hours. I have some fading lights and an extension cord-the beverage refrigerator is operational. Some prep for this exigency needs to be made. At least a lamp that can be plugged into the extension cord would be useful.

I had a pretty busy day. It was a gorgeous day-cool last night and warm today-virtually no wind. The short-timers headed for the beach. I told the Latours that I was making soup today. I went shopping. Went to Bali and got me another Buddha and some housewarming gifts for Greg and Lew. They had Lew's parents over to dine last night. At 92 and no real experience with them, they have formed opinions about trailer parks that Lew and Greg are at pains to dispel. They told them as they left, that they have now experienced being "trailer trash."

Andre and Nicole II invited me for a "last, last" fish dinner as the last one was supposed to be the last one. This was a great dinner. The usual group. I have learned from dining out and others have learned from me. They are out of here day after tomorrow. But I had promised soup and I delivered. I showed the Latours where to get it and went to my dinner party. Andre has had some fascinating experiences like a month in Venezuela back when the currency devalued by 100 percent in a month. He is an expert on fish and how to cook them: Olive oil, never; Butter for cooking Salmon; Canola for all white fish. Don't overcook any of them. He and Guy came home in each other's clothes. They said they went swimming which is a big no-no due to alligators...but you never know about these Quebecois. Might be more to them than one suspects. Body modesty is not a trait that any of them exhibit.

Delores wrote from Riverton to tell me to stay as long as I can as they are in the midst of a stretch of nasty blizzards. Some say rain here tomorrow-we will see. Things are once again green in John Prince Park. Rain will be welcome anytime after I finish working on the electricity.
Posted by Picasa