Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, March 23, 2009

The Times they are a Changing

"End of Season" is rolling around. Folks are hurrying to get in those last activities in their remaining days. Even with a lame lower left quadrant, I got some needed chores done in the cleaning and tidying department. I can ride a bike, I can walk, I can sit, but standing is painful. I got my ordered visit from the honeywagon today. It would have been better on Friday but it came in the nick of time today. This afternoon, Lew and Greg came by and invited me to go to Denny's for late lunch-their main meal. I had a dinner invitation but I went along for a cherry, cherry limeade which was almost as refreshing as an ice cold douche (I've been told those are very refreshing.). We went by their new digs which are very nice-boy did they suss out a deal. Through the car window below- a wide single wide with a Florida room, a carport, patio, and mostly furnished with all acceptable furniture. I took pix inside too. I'm almost envious but I really like the social interaction of the park except when it gets to be too much. Their dogs are welcome and as the cohort of 55 and olders is thinning (for the usual reason) they have dropped the age requirement to 40. So they are set and I have a picture of where they'll be.


We went on down to Denny's and visited while they ate and I teased the waiter-told him I didn't have any money and they wouldn't buy me anything and asked him where my order was when he brought theirs. We spotted this 1941 Packard 120 in the parking lot-one of the sexiest cars ever made in my book. A straight-eight engine, suicide doors, this is the business sedan-not the fanciest. Way cool. They got me home by 6:00 so I could grab a bottle of wine and go to Andre II's for fish.

Andre's fishing buddy, Guy, (pronounced ghee) got skunked yesterday so we ate Andre's fish and admired Guy's catch of today. A nice dinner-Guy's wife is an alcoholic and drinks tea- until Guy left the tent and she slugged the rest of the bottle of wine in two glugs. Andre had a lot of interesting tales of Montreal when it was wide open-before the Olympics were held there.
I got two calls and an email from Wyoming describing the blizzards. Rasty's funeral was nice-the video was moving. Delores caught me up on Wyoming and West Virginia. Cousin Jayne was supposed to get a pacemaker after heart valve replacement in Vero Beach but somebody forgot to charge the battery on the pacemaker so that will take place tomorrow. Her kids are there. Marilu is back in WV and after Howard's death and her neighbor's passing, is at loose ends. Delores is going there for most of the summer so that will help. Jayne, Marilu and Delores and her granddaughter Cade, will have "porch therapy" all summer long on Wingrove Hill.
Posted by Picasa