Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Catch U Up

Thursday was busy with drying things out and mildew prevention. The LaTour rolling manse leaked in the 5 inches of torrential rain we received, One of their slideouts had a weather stripping issue so I helped Marc use his salvaged old awning to make an awning for the slideout. I keep thinking of the PBS show "Keeping Up Appearances" as Mme. has plastic cutlery that looks like silver in two classes-the ones we used and the ones she will use if anybody important shows up. And I can hear her chirping away in a high soprano some days. And now she has a big old sloppy piece of awning hanging off her largest of the line 5th wheel camper. But I have to admit she is a pretty good egg. Of course we have had no rain since.

I introduced Andre and Nicole to the miracle of awning tape as their skylight also leaked.

Departure is starting to loom in my thoughts and I am chipping away at chores. It will still probably be a sprint when I decide to go but little bits of progress are being made.

Greg stopped over yesterday-they are already nesting down at Mar a Lago on Lawrence. It will be a year-round residence and they will commute. They plan to sell their RV. Greg is anxious to go home and start gardening and working with his fish up north. It won't be the same in the park without them but they are only about 2 miles away in a gated mobile home park. The monthly cost is about the same as here but they will pay for 12 months. We will find out if the friendship is one of convenience and proximity or something else. But I am glad for them as this solves their place to stay problem.

The pinched nerve problem seems to have worsened into a constant pain but lowly old aspirin works wonders. I took a vacation from all meds while my stomach healed and now I am adding them back into the regimen. Aside from that I feel great-two good bike rides a day at least, with the hound, walking and staying pretty active and sleeping pretty well.

Brother Bob went under the knife in a nine hour operation today. They removed tumors but none were malignant. They found his pancreas in bad shape from his diabetes and removed part of it and his gall bladder and re-sectioned the liver bile ducts. No chemo but some problematic conditions that will require some pretty severe lifestyle changes. The doctor says the survival rate is 95%. Bob will be hospitalized for two weeks if no complications ensue. Wishing him well. I imagine him waking up tomorrow and saying, "You took out my what?" The surgery certainly veered from the original intent. Gotta trust your doc, I guess.