Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Impromptu

Mme. LaTour was dragging her feet on my planned St. Patrick's party- I needed her space. So I scrapped that idea. Fortunately, because yesterday afternoon blessed rains started. But I was pondering dinner on Monday and my mouth was hollering pizza. I knew I couldn't eat a whole one so I told our little group- "Happy Hour in 45 minutes" and made a beer and pizza run. LaTours had more shade on this blistering hot day so we moved. I had been saving a large bottle of Sangria and it came into play to good effect. Terese made a salad, Nicole a veggie plate. As usual we had a good time.


Moreso because it was unplanned and nobody had to cook on this hot day.

St Patrick's Day was low key- ran the dog a couple of times and since I had mentioned a party to Joyce, Gary and Mervi and Ken, I took them to dinner at the Grumpy Grouper-early bird special: "all you can eat fish." Ken and Mervi exhaust me-there is rage just under the surface-Mervi interrupts Ken at every juncture. They are nice people but I really think I can do with less of them. I find my psychic energy is just sapped by some people but is augmented by others.

My old friend Rasty passed away and I am glad. I gave him a farewell hug as I left two seasons ago. He was slipping away before our very eyes with Alzheimer's and I really didn't expect to see him last spring and I didn't. His husk was still on the planet but there was nothing left of his essence. We are all, in our age group, facing our mortality but I can say with certainty that outliving your mind is a very crappy way to go. He had a helluva rodeo in his lifetime. Lots of stories. I didn't know him until most of the orneriness was burnt out and I was truly fond of him. All will have their take on him based on their interactions, I just have memories that make me smile.
Posted by Picasa