Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Saddest Happy Hour I Ever Attended

But first, Jeanne, sent me her pictures of the infamous breakfast. The French Toast looks great but there is no photo of the Frittata which is regrettable because when one has a gorgeous Frittata, one would like to splash photos of it all around the Internet. You will just have to imagine it.
Below, Marc, the O.F., Rene and Teresa, seated: Nicole and Andre. I just flip up the side curtain and my culinary equipment is just inside. Works great. Now if we could have some decent weather, I would practice some more. I am reaching the point where I have to admit the season has been less than ideal in the weather department. Cold and occasional drizzle today- not enough rain to do any good. Meanwhile Denver has a record breaking 76 degrees today.
We will gather again Friday for vespers and dinner at Nicole's. I will have breakfast at Joyce and Gary's. Gary brought me a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies about an hour ago. Yikes! The pants are getting tight again.

I re-did the network this morning and re-opened it, I had to go get Jeanne ( formerly Mme. LaTour) to translate with one guy- a very nice man who gives me pure Maple Syrup from his sugar house. I have cut down my customers to people I know I can trust. Marcel brought me a bottle of wine but my heart did not soften.

Gave myself a haircut after catching a glimpse of myself. I try not to do that.

As friendships grow, the intimacies increase. Terese and Andre invited me for Happy Hour tonight. He had bought a single Corona for their tiny fridge to hold for me. We talked of our two healthcare systems and how ours can cost catastrophically- wipe people out. They told of their daughter who died 12 years ago- a college student who was driving when a wreck occurred and how they not only lost their daughter but were sued for $8.2 million. Terese's mother is 89 and losing her marbles- she is in care in Canada but came here to this very park for 30 years and then to a mobile home on 10th Ave until Hurricane Wilma destroyed her home. They have a severely epileptic daughter who cannot work. They are remarkably chipper and together but the sadness leaks out of their eyes occasionally when they talk of these things. They have only had these last two years to travel together without caring for someone. "You do the best you can," says Terese. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking," applies to more than Timex watches. I was crying in my beer after one Corona.

Fixed hamburger gravy and baked potato for dogs and man. Early to bed again> I think.
Posted by Picasa