Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Bandits almost spoiled my party

Last night about 3 or 4 a.m., Honey commenced barking and wouldn't shut up. She raced from one end of the RV to the other and because she does this for dogs occasionally I didn't investigate. When I took her out about 7:00 a.m. I discovered the reason for her agitation: I was only able to salvage two eggs from two dozen and a pound and a half of hamburger was missing from the beverage fridge. The coons had cleaned it out. So, with guests coming at 8:45, I was in front of Publix when it opened. It only set me back about 15 minutes on serving and since I was plying my guests with Bellinis, they didn't mind and enjoyed the story. This initial run at entertaining focused on neighbors who were all bi-lingual, and artists. It was an unqualified success, if I do say so-they didn't leave until 11:00 and there was lots of good conversation, laughter, and appreciative comments. The Italian Frittata lofted, the sausages were hot, the French toast with roasted pecans was smothered in real Maple syrup, the cut fruit fresh, the peach nectar cold, and my guests brought French Press coffee and bagels and cream cheese. They took pictures, I was too friggin busy. Renee did what few dishes there were. He definitely gets to come again. Even Mme. LaTour was effusive.

A victim of my own success as host, I was late in getting to Deerfield to sit the Juneau pup and let my dogs run free. Honey was ready. She exhausted Juneau and continued to run and play. The kids got back from Vero Beach about 7:30 p.m. bringing 20 pounds of citrus, and Popeye's Chicken. I headed home about 8:30 with half of the citrus-Honeybell Oranges which most of the country never sees because the season is only 3 weeks and the high sugar content requires constant refrigeration, and a tangerine-grapefruit cross I have not yet sampled. Busy day end to end, though the duty at Deerfield is pretty mellow.

A nice strip of Gorilla tape was used to seal the beverage fridge tonight. Next time I will trust Honey. I already apologized to her and let her clean up the broken eggs this morning.