Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ken turns 65

I was invited to Ken's 65th birthday in the Finnish enclave in Lantana Friday night. He is a youthful looking 65 year old. Nice people attended- there were four or five solely English speaking people but the majority were bilingual and I often felt I was watching a foreign film. I kept waiting for somebody to get naked or die and an ensuing long philosophical and sad discussion about the meaninglessness of life. But it was just a party and occasionally joy broke out. Below, Ken is posing with his birthday presents: entirely liquor and lottery tickets.

Ken's wife Mervi holds the cake while Ken blows out his candles.
We had a Finnish celebrity with us- a race car driver of some renown. They have a condo in the compound. I had met his wife before and all I can think of is "Russian athlete." She is very feminine in dress and appearance but there is something that seems a little "off." He got up to whisper in Ken's ear and disappeared, to the half bath off the kitchen, I think. He was gone quite awhile.

There is an album on my webalbum site of all the festivities. Ken and Mervi's eldest daughter is married with a newborn in Finland. His younger daughter who swam for the University of Wyoming and was an Olympic hopeful is in England right now. I help them keep in touch through pictures and other Internet relays. I like the sound of the Finnish language. It is pleasant to listen to and remarked on that to a lady who lives down the way from me. Then we dissed the French because when they talk it sounds like they are fighting (her words).

Saturday I hung about the park. Between Gary and Joyce, they visited 6 times. Greg visited once but for awhile. He is trying to wrap his mind around being a Florida resident for awhile- Lew is the eldest (Jewish) son and is feeling responsible for his aged parents. Greg brought Pupper so Honey got to play. Honey also made the acquaintance of Boone- a blue-eyed Great Dane. They wanted to play so badly. Honey barked and Buster came rushing out of the coach as fast as his gimpy leg would carry him-to the rescue. Boone's dad travels in a half-camper/half horse trailer pulled by a diesel dually. He has ridden 22 trails across the country, has corral sections hanging on his trailer... but no horse here. Interesting guy- I hope to visit with him tomorrow. He knows the Wind Rivers.

When Buster was being heroic I put him in the van- opened up the door to get him out and Honey jumped in. They wanted a ride. So I went to the Verizon store to pick up my repaired fancy phone, not the new one. It is not repaired (they said it was) but they updated the interface. Went to Ace hardware to get some bolts and mounted my solar lights on the awning bar. Solar porch lights- pretty cool if I do say so.
Mme LaTour is on the track of a new computer. They brought me another gift-a certificate to John G's which has excellent food. Now I am embarrassed. I do see that she is loosening up and is even letting her hair go gray. I provide them solace and reassurance-they may become campers yet. Mark is just fine and is enjoying the laidback life. We'll probably become best buddies and I will have to eat a steaming pile of crow-which is better than the steaming pile of what I thought I was going to get out of them. One never knows, does one?
Posted by Picasa