Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Happy Hour Here, Dinner There

A very social day: Greg for coffee and a clandestine smoke, early. Visits with the neighbors who loaned me an opera, Patsy and Joe stopped by to coordinate social calendars, Gary scootered over for a chat, Joyce came by, and the day continued with happy hour with Pat and Joe and Fernand and Yvette and Harold and Julie. The picture below is of a new delicacy peculiar to the Maritime Provinces and very delicious: "Bar Clams" are clams that come from a sandbar and are prepared by the process of freezing in a block of ice, thawing, cleaning them and canning them in a hot water bath that takes three hours. Not available at the corner grocery. A real treat. Crackers spread with smoked salmon dip topped with bar clams-to die for.


Next week is Pat and Joe's last full week at John Prince Campground. I always hate to see them go but hearing of their plans helped. They have a great campground on the other coast and the Pinnellas Trail to play on: 48 miles of hiking, biking, kayaking, some familiar faces there too. Sounds much cheaper over there. I may have to go see.

Joyce and Gary were my hosts for dinner tonight. Joyce is an artist with everyday food. She has myriad tricks learned in life and at her German mother's knee. Wonderful meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, coleslaw, baby veggies, rolls, and a chocolate chunk ice cream sundae. Gary's salsa & cream cheese, dip was a hit, too. Ken and Mervi came too, bringing wine. Had to take Honey on a third walk to work off a calorie or two. Weather is better and improving.

The Grammy's are on the tube- Always enjoyable. Stephen 3, Computer 2, in Scrabble. I haven't played, been able to play, since my best buddy and spitfire Scrabble player left the planet. Makes me feel closer to mom. We played for blood and laughed like loons.

Posted by Picasa