Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, January 30, 2009

The Season of Dog Management

Cool day, dew so heavy droplets formed in the screen this morning-the promise of rain but nothing falling yet. Honey thrives in the cool and has been full of beans all day. Two long walks and I tethered her to go fix dinner. I found her in a huge hole in the front yard and when I yelled at her I could see she thought I would be proud of her. Took the broom and filled it in as best I could. If it doesn't rain, there will be midnight watering taking place. I know she is a pup and I am anything but. I do feel constrained this year-just going and doing has become complicated. Everything is impacted-if we need to go in the car it must be early or late because the Honey -Bear can't be left and the car gets hot or must be left running with the air on. She started vocalizing about two weeks ago and most of the time she is "honest." If she needs to go out she, indeed, performs. But she also has taken to complaining. "I'm bored." She will be another year older next year and perhaps settle down a little. She has grown a lot so far. Our walks are almost perfect behavior-she ignores barking dogs and pauses only about as long as the leash stretches. She is such a daddy's girl-other humans are not on her agenda. This is problematic. Buster, by contrast, is so placid but his health issues mean a real regular feeding schedule so he gets his heart and thyroid meds. He has had the itches. We have done flea treatment, worm treatment, and daily brushing for both. I love them dearly and they are my family BUT, this year is not what I envisioned. That does not mean it is bad. Just different. The trials and tribulations of single parenthood. Complaining time is OVER.