Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday-Monday

Tropic Fever or "Don't Worry, Be Happy" must have set in. Kind of loafed around for the last couple of days. The high point of Sunday was gin and tonics with Rene and Teresa. I brought makings for Suzanne's treats and we got to know each other better. He was deputy director of education for Quebec until he retired-200 schools under his supervision. They have several grandchildren. Rene has courtly manners- really kind of charming. Teresa paints with water colors. They both read and are active. They have their camping division of labor choreographed. And they seem to enjoy each other's company. They play Muggle, read books, and dine companionably. As they say, they have everything in their VW camper: bikes, golf clubs, in-line skates, tennis rackets, computer, etc. They are not large people, fortunately.

I have been working on the dogs-I think we may have fleas. I powdered them two days in a row with some effect but I took my life in my hands and drove to a Pet Store: Mark's Ark, to buy some Advantage this afternoon.

Had Vespers with Joe and Patsy this evening. While I didn't give a thought- they were thinking and took extra blankets to some of the tenters during the cold snap. (Patsy says they haven't come back and she doesn't want them.) Marilyn is driving them to churches and social services. Young couple with kids and a dog. Hilly-Billy's I think. Nice, sweet, but clueless. But Pat and Joe and Marilyn impress me with their thoughtfulness. Nice to have friends like that and know there are people in the world who live their values and faith.

The LaTours have left for a family reunion and it is as if a cloud has lifted over the enclave. The Quebecois in the tiny trailer wasted no time putting their sun chairs in her front yard and there they baked most of the day. Honey barked a little and I didn't have to rebuke her. My hermitage in Wyoming has some definite advantages over "civilization," as interesting as it is here in the park.

Sad news from West Virginia, via home. Marilu's companion Harold died this day. He had appointments in Tampa for some cancerous skin on his face but his liver gave out first for the usual reason. They are paid up but didn't even make it to Weeki Wachee. Riding with Harold was a thrill a minute. He was kind and generous and also the oldest man in West Virginia to be sent to prison for DWUI. He missed a real good chance to prolong his life that time. He loved his kids and provided well for them and accompanied his boy as he traversed every major river from coast to coast. He told good stories and was pleasant company He was good to Marilu. He was not feeling well at all so it was his time and we will hold his very original self in fond remembrance and try to be glad he did not suffer longer.