Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gadding About

The day started leisurely-a few chores, a visit with Suzanne. She was pleased with a parting gift I gave them in anticipation of their 23rd departure. They have been kind to me and the dogs. I will miss them. I tried to read my Kindle but the book I wanted to read had somehow disappeared. There was a message to call Amazon if technical support were needed. The cell phone battery on my Motorola Q was dead and it had not even been turned on for five days. The cheap keyboard I type on is increasingly erratic. I was annoyed-a neo luddite in the making. What to do? Why, go shopping for more electronics of course.... Circuit City is folding. It was a madhouse- only 10 percent off, but the line I was in was 25 deep. Finally a cash only line opened and since I had very little I made it out behind some poor Muslim who didn't know it was a closeout sale.

I was on my way to Deerfield to introduce Richard to Jason and Lori. A match was made, artistic and material decisions made, a game plan established to replace the tabletop. We Roberts visited for awhile, Lori made brownies and rich coffee, and then we came home. I wormed and heartworm medicated the dogs. J n Lo may go to St. Barts on the 27th in David's jet. David invited them but Lori is skeptical of the invitation because the occasion is David and Jaqui's anniversary. I keep trying to impress upon them that there is no point in being fabulous without an audience to notice you are fabulous. Go and enjoy! Be fabulous too. If the company is fun, go- life is short. Our family performed that function for the True family for thirty years. The minute you feel like a lackey, you jump off the boat. You are thereafter occasionally or forever busy. I, famously, told them to stick it and earned a heartfelt apology.These words sound cold. Of course there is/was mutual warmth and affection. Make those memories! Some of my fondest come from those times. My continued affection is all that keeps me from spilling the beans-there weren't all glorious moments. Loyalty? Friendship? Love? Honor?